In 2016, Amy Mcphie Allebest published her piece "Dear Mormon Man,” which went viral during the #metoo movement, helping crack the foundation of deeply rooted inequalities within her church and worldwide.
The feminist awakening started long ago, yet part of the issue we face in making progress as daughters of the patriarchy is that our vast repository of herstory isn’t shared widely, taught, or easily accessible. Still, Amy McPhie Allebest is changing all that with her podcast Breaking Down Patriarchy, An Essential Texts Bookclub, which I believe is one of the most important podcasts of our time.
Amy has always been drawn to asking the deeper questions that revealed the oppressive social systems at play in her university studies. Her questions always led her to more questions that piqued her interest in how these systems impacted women over time.
Amy is no stranger to agitation and frustration about oppressive systems in her own life. When she found that she could not find a comprehensive women’s studies program, she decided to create one that would help her to illuminate her own struggle. So began an essential texts book club podcast where Amy invites her listeners and readers to tune in each week as she and one of her guests break down the patriarchy. Their conversations are about seminal feminist texts written over the ages that chronicle a deep, rich, and rewarding herstory highlighting the many remarkable ideas, observations, and work of female pioneers who are the foremothers of a most incredible movement to liberate, amplify, and celebrate the independent, sovereign and essential roles of women as co-equal partners in a world that has always sought to oppress and control them.
This podcast is a project for the whole human family, and I urge all of us to tune in and become active listeners to this body of work that Amy has worked so hard to make available.
It’s filled with incredible history, conversations, insights, and poignant and powerful revelations that offer alternative ways of imagining what might be possible if we were to succeed in joining hands with the men we love to build a more equitable system that benefits and liberates everyone from the oppressive and unjust systems that have dominated the world for the past 5,000 years.
- It’s just as important for men to listen in and participate in breaking down patriarchy because ultimately, men are still in power, and patriarchy harms everyone.
- It’s also deeply important because we love the men in our lives, and Patriarchy hurts the men we love as well as hurts women.
- We don’t actually know the true nature of women because she has always been subjugated.
- All human beings have both masculine and feminine energies, and all human beings benefit from cultivating both.
- Men are taught to be good men by being defenders of women, and while there is a lot of beauty in that, it can also be very condescending and limiting for the women in their lives.
Listen in as we talk about her podcast responses from both women and men across the country, how Amy sees her role as she continues to steward this project, as well as what her vision for the future entails.Support The Revelation Project
- Website: Breaking Down Patriarchy Podcast | An Essentials Textbook Club
- Podcast: The Breaking Down Patriarchy Podcast By Amy McPhie Allebest
- Book: The Creation of Patriarchy (Women and History; V. 1): 9780195051858: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com
- Book: The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future: 9780062502896: Eisler, Riane: Books
- Podcast: Women Seeking Wholeness on Apple Podcasts
- Book: Sarah Grimke: Letters on the Equality of the Sexes and Other Essays: Bartlett, Elizabeth Ann, Grimke, Sarah: 9780300041132
- Book: Womanspirit Rising: A Feminist Reader in Religion: Christ, Carol P., Judith Plaskow: 9780060613778
- Book: The Feminine Mystique: 9780393346787: Friedan, Betty, Collins, Gail, Quindlen, Anna
- Book: Sojourner Truth: A Life, A Symbol: Painter, Nell Irvin: 9780393317084
- Facebook: Breaking Down Patriarchy: An Essential Texts Bookclub
- Instagram: Breaking Down Patriarchy (@bdownpatriarchy) • photos and videos
- Medium: Dear Mormon Man, tell me what you would do. | by Amy McPhie Allebest | Mormondom
- YouTube: Mormon Stories #671: Amy McPhie Allebest Pt. 1, Author of "Dear Mormon Man..."
- YouTube: Mormon Stories #672: Amy McPhie Allebest Pt. 2, Author of "Dear Mormon Man..."
- YouTube: Mormon Stories 1387: Breaking Down Patriarchy with Amy McPhie Allebest
- Twitter: Breaking Down Patriarchy Podcast (@bdownpatriarchy) / Twitter