"Whether or not you know it, you’ve probably been influenced by the beliefs of the Gnostics and their powerful grasp over aspects of Western spirituality. Many schools of metaphysics, the occult, mystical teachings, and even fraternal organizations and secret societies have borrowed heavily from Gnostic teaching. It’s impossible to do justice to Gnosticism in a single article, but I’ll do my best to introduce you to some of the basic concepts, leaving further research to those spurred on by the mysteries inherent in the Gnostic world. Any personal work done, if seriously approached, must serve to improve the understanding and knowledge of the student.” - Mo Abdelbaki
The term "gnostic" derives from "gnosis," which means "knowledge" in Greek. The Gnostics believed that they were privy to a secret knowledge about the divine, hence the name.
It is understood as one of the oldest versions of the christian religion and perhaps that it even dates back to pre-christian times.
More than anything it’s a cosmology of the universe and a mythical way of seeing how the world came to be including the dualistic nature from which all things in this material world are separated into.
In this episode:
- Gnosticism helped Miguel to see the bigger picture - a holistic view of the Universe.
- The Myth of Inanna and her relevance to everything.
- Why Gnosticism matters and why it is considered an ecstatic and shamanistic religion
- How The Goddess Sophia comes to awaken the divine soul and restore the universe.
- How the Gnostics face the "horror and the holy" of the Universe
- How Gnosticism helps us hold the darkness and light in order to find the middle path
- Why it was said that "Modern man can’t see God because he doesn't look low enough”
- How Miguel became a gnostic and how being a “misfit” paved the way to bigger questions.
- What drove him was the question "What is the nature of evil and suffering?”
- The Gnostic Philosophies and their application to todays world
- Leaning into a divine feminine aspect and how the gnostics differ from traditional Christian interpretations
- Much of Jungs work is derived from the Gnostics - depth Psychology in particular followed the premis “go within to discover the truth”
- The counterfeit self that keeps us locked into the matrix- living on the surface of life vs. the ego death which then gives us access to the deeper secrets of the soul.
- The gnostics knew that we are not our identities - but instead the divine spark with vast and infinite capacities
- The Gnostics believe we all have a destiny that is part of the restoration of the Universe.
- If the exterior is all an illusion, then the way to find the true reality is within us- where the true universe resides.
"We did not come to this world to be good, but to be ourselves.” - Jung
If the exterior is all an illusion, then the way to find the true reality is within us- where the true universe resides.
Gnosticism helped Miguel to see the bigger picture - a holistic view of the Universe.
Miguel is the host of Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio, a popular show on Gnosticism and Hermeticism, ancient and modern
Voices of Gnosticism, as well as the post-apocalyptic vampire epic series, The Dark Instinct Trilogy. Art
Gnostic Journal, The Heretic, Mindscape, Reality Sandwich, and Graham Hancock’s blog. Lectured/app
Hour, The Alan Eisenberg Show (AM 1400 WRJN), Magick Radio (AM 1680 Chicago), Runesoup, Skep
Countercultures Conference at Rice University
- Podcasts: Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio
- Miguel Conner: books, biography, latest update
- Duncan Trussell Family Hour / Miguel Conner
- Marduk and Tiamat
- Wikipedia: James F. McGrath
- Wikipedia: Margaret Barker
- Wikipedia - Joseph Campbell
- Wikipedia: Zoroastrianism
- Book: Wetiko: Healing the Mind-Virus That Plagues Our World - Kindle edition by Levy, Paul, Dossey, Larry.
- Book: Not in His Image (15th Anniversary Edition): Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology, and the Future of Belief: Lash, John Lamb
- Books: Charles Eisenstein: books
- Book: The Gnostic Gospels: The Gnostic Wisdom of Jesus including the Lost Apocryphal Gospel of Thomas, John and Mary Magdalene: Academy, History, Wilson, Matthew, Rigoni, Alexander
- Book: The Superhumanities: Historical Precedents, Moral Objections, New Realities: Kripal, Professor Jeffrey J.
- Book:The Secret Book of John: The Gnostic Gospels―Annotated & Explained (SkyLight Illuminations): Davies, Stevan
- Book: The Rape of Eve: The Transformation of Roman Ideology in Three Early Christian Retellings of Genesis: Lillie, Celene:
- Book: The Thunder, Perfect Mind: Voice of the Divine Feminine: Unknown, Lozowick, Lee, Young, Mary Angelon:
- Video: Thunder Perfect Mind | PRADA