In this lively conversation, I talk to Tia Levings about her revelations as a former Christian Fundamentalist who shines a light on the abuses in high-control religion, revealing how they impact our headlines & culture today. Her memoir, A Well-Trained Wife: My Escape from Christian Patriarchy, is coming out in 2024 and I feel grateful to have her on the show.
Join us as we dive deep into the patriarchal systems that have affected women's lives for generations. Be prepared to feel a surge of inspiration as we touch upon the power of sisterhood and the resilience of those who break free from the manipulation and crazy-making that many endure.
We delve into Tia's own harrowing experience of abuse, ex-communication, and, ultimately transformation as her journey becomes a beacon of hope for others facing similar struggles and abuses.
Key points discussed:
- Tia's personal journey: Escaping religious abuse, ex-communication, and finding freedom in nature and spirituality
- Overcoming indoctrination: Examining fear, obedience, and control in oppressive systems
- Sisterhood and solidarity: Embracing the power of women supporting one another for healing and liberation
- Battling theocracy: Addressing the presence of fundamentalism in American politics and its effects on women
- Reclaiming spirituality: Exploring the importance of connecting with the earth and embracing authentic power
- Urging listeners to question the motives and beneficiaries of oppressive systems
- Southern Baptist Megachurch
- Jerry Falwell
- The Handmaid's Tale
Tia Levings is an author and thought leader who shines a light on the abuses in Christian Fundamentalism and high control religion, and supports survivors of religious trauma. Her memoir, A Well-Trained Wife, releases with St. Martin's Press in summer 2024.Support The Revelation Project