In this eye-opening episode, Monica is joined by Dr. Sarah Buckley, a renowned GP and academic researcher specializing in oxytocin and maternal care. Together, they dive deep into the fascinating world of childbirth, sharing Sarah’s expertise on the physiological and emotional aspects of labor and birth, making for an essential listen for expectant mothers, their partners, and those supporting them.
Sarah sheds light on the biological transformation of women’s bodies in pregnancy and birth. She emphasizes the importance of creating a safe, secure, and unobserved environment during labor to allow the birthing process to unfold. She points to the necessity of understanding that any interventions can create hormonal gaps in the essential feedback loop of hormones that are registered by the mother’s relationship between the brain and her womb and her ability to then bond with her baby, nurse, and more.
Throughout their conversation, you’ll learn about the influence of oxytocin, specifically in labor, and how women can make an informed choice about their birth experiences only when they know and have the proper information. Sarah explains the hormonal gaps that can be created by interventions like epidural use, and c-sections and speaks to how women can close these gaps with knowledge.
This episode challenges the current intervention-heavy focus in modern maternity care and encourages understanding alternative methods like home births, midwifery care, and doulas and why these might be important to consider.
- The role of oxytocin in childbirth
- The importance of safety, privacy, and unobserved conditions in labor
- How the hormonal gap affects mothering
- Integrating feminine needs in the birthing process
- Dr. Sarah Buckley
- Personal birthing experiences
- Home births
- Midwifery care
- Website: Dr Sarah Buckley
- Hormonal Physiology, Oxytocin and More
- First-time parents - Dr Sarah Buckley
- Instagram: Dr. Sarah Buckley
- Sponsor: Rockstar Camp for Women — Rockstar Camp is a LIVE somatic experiential learning adventure in a container of Sisterhood. It is not for the faint of heart. It is for you. Confidence, Boldness, and Irresistibility will be forever imprinted in your DNA.