Tabitha Lord is an accomplished author and is known for her science fiction series: HORIZON. She has received several independent book awards, including the Writer’s Digest Grand Prize in 2016.
In addition to writing novels and short fiction, Tabitha is a partner and senior writer for Book Club Babble and managing editor for the Inkitt Writer’s Blog. Recently, she’s tried her hand at writing romantic suspense under the pen name Maggie Clare. Tabitha lives in Rhode Island with her husband, four kids, and lovable fur babies.
Listen in today as we talk about changing careers at 40, vulnerability, storytelling, raising kids, climbing mountains, and doing things that are hard but worthwhile.
- Tabitha and Ray had only been dating for a few months when they found out they were expecting a baby. Tabitha had not yet reached her senior year in college, but they decided they wanted to try to make it work as parents, and once the baby was born, they decided to marry.
- Tabitha struggled with settling down, and while she loved being a mother, she did not yet embrace her role as a wife.
- After falling into an accidental career at her children’s school, at age 40, she decided that she wanted to become a writer.
- It wasn’t until Tabitha’s fourth child was about three years old that she really allowed herself to truly love her partner Ray. Until this time, she always felt herself “holding back.”
- Writing helped Tabitha explore and access a vulnerability she had not known in herself that gave her new insights and stirred new emotions.
- Her storytelling and writing gave her an outlet that opened doors into deeper relationships and experiences, and ultimately she began trusting herself in ways she had not formerly.
- Tabitha believes everyone has their own “art form” to discover, a creation process that they are uniquely suited to, and that part of life's challenge is to reveal it.